Thursday 25 October 2012

Sleep...zzz...


Sleep. Who needs it?

Oh dear do I ever! It has been a bit of a rough week as far as sleep is concerned; waking up early for car MOTs, friend's visits, and trying to fit in exercise. Of course there is also the getting to bed late, early into the morning or not at all (post pregnancy insomnia)!
Image from Google Images

One night this week we had a long night with two sick boys awake, crying and coughing. What is a mum to do but stay up and rub their backs, give some cough medicine and rock them back to sleep- even if it takes all night. I love my two little men and hate seeing them suffer.

Then there was a bonus sleepless night when my husband decided to sleep talk, walk and turn on lights. It ended in a climax of him turning his bedside light on waking me up and stating 'There's a big ugly spider coming your way!'. Thanks sweetheart.

So, in a week of a lot less sleep and an eagerness to get on with my new workout schedule what wins? Well, let me spell it out S-L-E-E-P! So far this week I have only had one workout a run/walk and I have very knowingly shut off my alarm two other times. It isn't that I don't want to workout, I do, very much but at this stage post pregnancy I still consider sleep the more important commodity.

I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that if you are sleep deprived your workout doesn't count as much. Maybe that is because you aren't putting in your all or you are working out with less than perfect form I really can't remember. One thing I do remember is that getting your Zs is also a useful tool in losing weight so that is what I went with this week.

I am posting this however while setting my alarm for an early morning running wake up call!

Has there ever been a time when you have chosen sleep over something else that was important to you? Did you feel better for it or guilty? 

No comments:

Post a Comment