Thursday 25 September 2014

Mummy Failings or Lessons to Learn?

Oh dear, where does the time go? I have been meaning to write a post every day this week but I have been so busy working on my entryway/office redecoration that my computer has remained covered up. The good news is that the ceiling has been complete however, there is still lots to do so I may have to resort to using the old laptop to keep on top of things in the meantime.

As most of you know, last week was a bit of a rough one for me and I think I put it best in a text that I sent my personal trainer when I said: 'After a lot of thought, I have decided to not do any workouts this week. I think I was burning out and trying to take on too much while also dealing with a brand new schedule (due to Francis' starting school).'

So this week, I decided to take a deep breath and embrace the most important and biggest change which is the new school schedule. Not going to the gym has also allowed me a bit more time to sleep in the mornings which has been much needed and appreciated.

Since I have been concentrating on our morning schedule which includes getting everyone dressed, washed, hair brushed and breakfast for all (including the pooch) I have made some observations.

Before we had a tight morning schedule, I allowed:

  • for a lot of relaxing and general messing around in the morning (because normally we didn't have anywhere in particular to be)
  • the boys to choose their breakfasts (because I wanted them to eat)
  • the boys to choose their outfits for the day (because I wanted them to learn how to make decisions and get dressed themselves)
  • the boys to choose a cartoon to watch in the morning before breakfast (because this was a morning treat)

These things are now kicking me up the backside!

The boys don't want to get ready in the morning.

  • They want to mess around with me in their pjs until I decide it is time to go out (used to be about 10am). 
  • They have become picky about what they want to watch sometimes taking about 15 minutes to choose a cartoon. 
  • Luckily, Francis has a school uniform (which he thus far likes) but Dylan has become some sort of fashion icon so must choose and put on about 3 outfits before he deems one acceptable. 
  • They also aren't happy with Weetabix or porridge these days and beg continuously for mummy to make them pancakes, eggs and/or toast with several different toppings etc...

These are things that would probably have annoyed me a tiny bit before but now that we have to be out the door before 8:30am they drive me wild!! I have done it to myself. I have created monsters. :(

I really can't decide if this is a major catastrophe or if I can just learn the lesson/s here and move swiftly on correcting behaviours as I go. But, every day I wake up faced with two stubborn and determined boys that really won't work with mummy and the new schedule and I just keep thinking what have I done!

So in efforts to help the boys and myself I have started to implement some changes.

  • The night before, I tell them both 'Tomorrow is a busy day. We have to be up and ready early for school.'
  • I lay out Francis' school uniform and tell him he can get dressed when he wakes up. 
  • In the morning, I choose a cartoon and then run out of the room while the crying begins and then (fingers crossed) stops. 
  • I give them two options for breakfast and then keep telling myself 'you are not a restaurant' ignoring cries for other options.
  • I give Dylan free range on outfits still but ask him to pick something out right when he wakes up so he then has an hour and a half to get a move on. It seems to be working, so far. 

This tough 'love' is killing me but this week (so far) everyone has made it into the car by 8:20am. There have been plenty of tears still but it takes 3 weeks to adjust to a new schedule right?! Fingers crossed, we are on our way! :)

Any advice on morning routines? Or stubborn boys? 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment